Sunday, December 16, 2007

Picture Stories

In photojournalism it is especially important to make sure that every shot tells a story, and that you walk away from your mission with not just simply pictures of people at an event, but a documentary of the event that took place and the pivotal moments that capture an emotion or experience that took place. I've been working on "picture stories" lately, and I've really been trying to stress the key moments in the events that I go to.














I was recently at the local homeschool basketball game trying to work on composing such a story. Typically I try to come up with a portfolio of 10-20 shots that each tell a story of their own, and at the same time contribute to the story as a whole.

I've also come to realize that I will eventually have to moderate my shutter happy finger, since I did take over 3 hundred pictures at this game. I feel so hypocritical saying "only take the best shots" and it's difficult to say which ones are the best until the night is over. In a basketball game it's really tough to set up the pivotal shots because they're so candid... you really just have to sit and wait. On the other hand, if I'm working for the local newspaper and I'm doing a write up on a wedding, I'm probably going to want to set up for the memorable moments like the cutting of the cake, the kiss, and the first dance. Playing the role of newspaper guy won't require me to "snap, snap, snap" because it really has no sentimental value to the paper or the general public... it's simply a document.
Gyms aren't known for great lighting, so most of these have been touched with a little extra light. With action shots I typically don't like to use the flash. It because fever distracting to the players and you really don't get the quality you're looking for.






The white walls do help bounce the light a little.














The game itself was tremendous, so it made it easy to grab the intensity with the camera.


My only reget is I didn't get a shot that told the view "we won". I wish I had gotten a smile on a players face, or if nothing else the score board. The quest for perfection will only dishearten a courageous spirit, so instead seek joy in the work of your hands and in everything glorify God.

Adversarius

1 comment:

--Fictoris said...

that was a nice one!!!! It's obvious that I have lots of experimenting ahead of me!! Your blogs are rockin!