Sunday, December 28, 2008

Meanhwhile, Back at the Ranch


I've left the land of ice and snow and I've been welcomed home by a hot and humid 80 degree Christmas, (not what I was dreaming of). The Maine trip was outstanding and I've been told I've gotten the full New England experience. A week in an ice storm without power, pastries in Boston, backstage work for Ballet New England's Nutcracker and slipping on ice in Portsmouth New Hampshire. There's really not much left to do! I was hosted on Erik's [roommate] goat farm in Alfred Maine where I was introduced to treacherous weather conditions and massive sheep dogs. 





We spent much our time in Portsmouth where I had the opportunity to shadow Erik backstage for the nutcracker. I also got to take a few backstage shots and made some great friends as well.


New England has ample opportunities to impress a southerner. I found myself bewildered by simple things like a car covered in ice or slipping on what I thought was a puddle. I got to take some great shots of the ice storm after everything settled. Waking up to a world covered in an inch of ice isn't an everyday occurrence for a Louisianian such as myself.


Memory Making Story = Erik owned an old guitar without strings, something I wouldn't have paid $5 for. We had been talking about making the 40 minute drive to the coast one day so I could check it out and take the camera along with me. In a burst of creative genius and sheer awesomeness we came up with this!

Yes, we really did burn the guitar! It was completely engulfed in flames! If you want to see more you can visit hjlloyd.com and you'll find a few more shots in the fine art section. Look under American Beauty. 

To conclude the trip, we took a bus down to Boston for a day. I got ahold of some incredible clam chowder and the best pastries known to man! Erik made sure to give me the abbreviated freedom trail tour and brushed me up on some of my American history. A memorable experience to be sure!

I just put up my photography website, so if any of you get the chance, I invite you to check out hjlloyd.com!


In Father's Grace

~Adversarius

2 comments:

Jon said...

great shot with the guitar bro!

Sarah Beth said...

Boston is definitely one of my favorite places to go! Glad you liked it. ;) So is Newport, Rhode Island. I love New England.

Awesome shots, by the way! You're photography just keeps getting better and better (your posts are eloquent as well). Awesome job, my friend!

In Him,
~Sarah Beth